Working to Improve Teaching and Learning Conditions Across California
There are various types of committees throughout CTA’s governance structure. From conference planning, membership, organizing, advisory, task forces and other groups, CTA members and leaders work to address public education issues in California.
State Council of Education Committees
There are two types of State Council Committees: Policy-Making Committees and Board Advisory Committees.
- Policy-Making Committees are responsible for the development of policies to be considered by the State Council of Education for adoption. These committees recommend positions to the State Council on proposed legislation within their areas of responsibility.
- Board Advisory Committees are responsible for recommending policy and procedures to the Board of Directors for consideration. Only members of State Council may be appointed to Board Advisory Committees.
Standing Policy-Making Committees of the Council Committees and Officers
Adult, Alternative, Career & Tech. Ed.: Kristin Montoya, Chair
Assessment and Testing: David Lollar, Chair
Budget: Leslie Littman, Chair
Civil Rights in Education: Dr. Taunya Jaco, Chair
Communications: James Benanti, Chair
Credentials & Professional Development: Chandra McPeters, Chair
Curriculum and Instruction: Pia VanMeter, Chair
Early Childhood Education: Paula Merrigan, Chair
Elections and Credentials: Jeanne Marks, Chair
Financing Public Education: Grant Schuster, Chair
Language Acquisition and Development: Chaz Garcia, Chair
Negotiations: Kyna Collins, Chair
Political Involvement: Shay Lohman, Chair
Professional Rights and Responsibilities: Karen Lord-Eyewe, Chair
Representation: Raymond Hart, Chair
Retirement: Leonard Goldberg, Chair
School Safety/School Management: Eric Roudabush, Chair
Special Education Committee: Ismael Armendariz, Chair
State Legislation: Kathy Sharp, Chair
Student Support Services: Erika Zamora, Chair
Teacher Evaluation and Academic Freedom: Alexandra Condon, Chair
Board Advisory Groups
CTA Board Advisory Groups are groups of CTA members recommended by the President and appointed annually by the CTA Board of Directors to accomplish a specific charge. There are five types of Board Appointed Advisory Groups:
- Board Advisory Committees (two types): one with State Council members, and one with ongoing responsibilities within CTA.
- Task Force: a special committee appointed to meet a particular short-term need. The Task Force ends when the charge is completed, or can be re-established the next year if necessary.
- Workgroup: comprised of CTA members and staff appointed to meet specific, short-term objectives. A workgroup ends when the objective is achieved.
- Panel: A group of CTA members appointed to serve in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors. The panel may hold hearings and consider special requests on legal matters or sponsored programs.
Advisory Panel on Endorsed Services
Advisory Panel on Legal Services
Cadre Advisory Committee
CalPERS Interview Team
Campaign Workgroup 2020
Crisis Assistance Panel
CTA/NEA Interview Team
Diversity Advisory Panel
Elections and Credentials Committee
ESEA Reauthorization Workgroup (Link to ESSA Issues & Action page)
Executive Officers Circle
Governance Documents Review Committee
Higher Education Advisory Committee
Higher Education Award Selection Committee
Intern Selection Committee
Large Urban Advisory Committee
NEA Convention Coordinating Committee
NEA Convention Task Force
NEA Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence Interview Committee
NEA Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence Screening Committee
NEA Fund for Children and Public Education
New Educator Pipeline and Support Workgroup
Political Academy Planning Committee
Priority Legislation Subcommittee
RA California Night 2020
Racial and Social Justice Advisory Committee
Racial Equity Steering Committee
Rural Issues Advisory Committee
Special Education Conference Planning Committee
Vendor Evaluation and Screening Committee
Women’s Rights Committee
*Committee List updated November 2020