We want to make sure you get your questions answered.
- New! CTA’s new member login system is now live! Get help signing in.
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions below.
- View our CTA Locations & Offices
- Search for your local chapter, Regional Resource Center or Service Center Council
- Learn more about who we are, our leadership and our members
- Get information on how to become a teacher
- Contact us
- Learn more about COVID-19 Updates and Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Founded in 1863, CTA represents 310,000 educators in California advocating for the education profession and public education. CTA includes teachers, counselors, school librarians, social workers, psychologists, nurses, and more. K-12 educators, community college faculty, education support professionals, students who are becoming teachers, and retired educators make CTA the most inclusive and most powerful voice of educators in the state.
New! CTA’s new member login system is launching soon. Learn how you can log in to the new system on cta.org and CTAMemberBenefits.org
Each CTA member has a 10-digit member ID number. If you have forgotten your ID, here is how you can find it:
- CTA Membership card (hard copy): The ID number is listed on your member card.
- CTA Digital Membership Card: If you have downloaded your CTA digital membership card, your ID number will appear on the card.
- California Educator Magazine: Your ID number is listed above your name on the mailing label of your print issue of CTA’s California Educator magazine.
- CTA Membership Department: You can contact email@example.com if you need assistance.
There are two ways to become a member:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name and employer (e.g. school district), and someone from our Membership Department will be in contact to identify membership eligibility and options.
- Call our Membership Department directly at 650-552-5278.
The California Department of Education, the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and Teach California are good starting points. You can also check state colleges and universities for information on their teacher education programs.
A Primary Contact Staff is a CTA member assigned to a local chapter. Your PCS is who you would contact if you have a question or issue.
As a CTA member you have access to a variety of benefits and programs to enhance your life and your career.
Check your eligibility information and learn about the benefits for new members and retired members to see what’s available to you.
CTA also offers CTAinvest.org, where you can find investment and retirement calculators and other helpful tips and tools.
No, teachers are not covered by California’s State Disability and districts do not offer disability insurance.
Disability insurance can be purchased through CTA’s endorsed provider The Standard Insurance Company (The Standard). Teachers are covered.
CTA takes official positions on a wide variety of education issues. Those positions on the issues are developed after much research and debate by CTA’s policy-making body, the State Council of Education.
Check out Our Advocacy to learn more about CTA’s positions on the issues.
CTA is rigorously democratic. Its structure gives members the ultimate voice in what CTA does.
By secret ballot, members elect the nearly 800 delegates to the State Council of Education, CTA’s highest governing body. Meeting four times a year, the State Council sets all policy for the organization, adopts the budget, determines dues, recommends expenditures to the board, elects the executive officers and other members of the board of directors and performs other similar duties.
CTA is the largest state affiliate of the nation’s largest labor union, the 3 million-member National Education Association (NEA).
Our Get Involved section has resources for parents and families looking to participate in their child’s education.
Please visit our Calendar Help page, complete with functionality descriptions, instructions, tutorials, and FAQs. If your question is not answered and you are still running into issues subscribing and/or exporting our calendar, please contact us.
If you are a member of the news media, please send an email to NewsDesk@cta.org with the following information:
Privacy & Acceptable Use Policies
Can’t find the answer to your question? Send us a message.