CTA Members are Ready for Attacks by the Far-Right
As educators protect students during the pandemic, far-right forces continue to campaign to weaken our union. Our collective strength will overcome these attacks but we must stay vigilant and educate each other. Resources below.
The Post-Janus Launch
Cynicism runs deep in dark money-funded groups that want to dismantle unions across the U.S. It has been a part of their attacks on professional unions for years. For example, within hours of the controversial 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Janus vs. AFSCME — a case bankrolled by billionaires that overturned a former unanimous 40-year-old SCOTUS ruling — the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy took action. Using the campaign “My Pay My Say,” it flooded public school teachers’ inboxes and mailboxes nationwide advising them how to leave their unions.
Exploiting a Pandemic
Now, these groups are using the worldwide pandemic as a perverse opportunity to further attacks on union members across the state. The Freedom Foundation is a Washington-based anti-worker organization funded by out-of-state billionaires who want to keep wages low, eliminate paid sick leave, and slash critical funding for education. Once again, the foundation is harassing CTA members with deliberately misleading and outright false information during this ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Their campaign against union professionals is now targeting our mail, phones, and Facebook pages.
Failing on a Grand Scale
Despite tens of millions in dark money contributions by billionaires, the foundation and affiliated groups have proven to be unsuccessful financial sinkholes for their donors; across the U.S. organized labor has had a resurgence in numbers and popularity.
Social Media Targets CTA Members
The Freedom Foundation has recently taken out Facebook ads aimed at all CTA members, urging them to drop their union membership. It hired 80 full-time employees and sent them to California, Oregon and Washington to encourage people to quit their unions.
These billionaire-funded attacks by an out-of-state organization will not deter CTA nor its members from our mission to serve students by ensuring properly funded schools, colleges, and universities in this state. The Mackinac Center, the Freedom Foundation, the Choice for Teachers, The California Teachers Empowerment Network, may all sound nice enough, but they aren’t. They may call themselves think tanks and operate as non-profits but the reality is that they are fronts for public education privatizers who want to weaken our union.
Use CTA Union Strong resources to keep your members informed:
- Attacks on Local Membership Flyer (can be customized!)
- Know Your Rights and Protect Yourself From Deceptive Freedom Foundation
- Freedom Foundation Sample Email
- Freedom Foundation Legal Advisory
- Opt-out Freedom Foundation Flyer
- Sample E-mail to Members
- How to Mark E-mail as Spam
- Handouts and Infographics to Fight Disinformation
Must-Reads and Other Resources
- ALEC’s New Union-Busting Toolkit Illustrates the Goal Is to Bankrupt Unions Not Protect Workers
- The economy is booming, your salary is not: Blame the decline of unions
- With Onslaught of Emails and Ads, Conservative Groups Push Teachers to Drop Their Unions
- Battle ramps up to convince California school employees to withhold union fees
- After ‘Janus’: Labor’s Recommitment Campaigns Energize the Rank and File
- Koch Brothers-Linked Group Declares New War on Unions
- NEA President: We Will Fight the ‘Drop Your Membership’ Campaigns, Post Janus
- Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC
- The Mackinac Center and Why It’s Trying to Destroy Michigan Education Association (And Unions Across the Country)
- Mackinac Center Exposed: Who’s running Michigan?
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- More information on Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Carrying Water for the Kochs, Mackinac Center Misleads on Professional Licensing
- New reports show power of corporatist groups like Mackinac Center to implement statewide policies/laws benefiting corporations
- Northwest Accountability Project