African American Caucus
The CTA/AAC believes in the need to uplift the worth and dignity of all people of the African Diaspora. We believe in and will advocate for our right to freedom, equality of opportunity, participation in a free and independent teaching profession, and in the exercise of self-development, and leadership.
Camille Butts, Chairperson
American Indian/Alaska Native Caucus
The mission of the American Indian/Alaska Native Caucus of the California Teachers Association is to develop knowledge, skills and abilities of education personnel, leaders and members of the AI/AN community to effect a holistic quality education, academic excellence and leadership development for CTA members.
Mary Levi, Chairperson
BadAss Teachers (BATS)
It shall be the purpose of the caucus to:
- Advance the interests of the teaching profession.
- Promote the cause of the BadAss Teachers Association throughout the state of CA. “to give voice to every teacher who refuses to be blamed for the failure of our society to erase poverty and inequality through education”.
- Keep CTA aware if its commitment to minority groups, parent groups, student groups and community organizers committed to public schools.
- Continue to promote the needs of ALL teachers in CA.
Heather Messner, Chairperson
The mission of the Hispanic Caucus is to advance the interest of the teaching profession while promoting the cause of Hispanic educators throughout the state of California by identifying and mentoring future Hispanic leaders within the teaching profession. The Hispanic Caucus continues to promote diversity in education for all students, members, the community and society, while advocating for human and civil rights for all.
Alberto Nodal, Chairperson
Pacific Asian American Caucus
The purpose of the Pacific Asian American Caucus is to properly and continuously represent the concerns of the Asian Pacific Islander educators, and to present concerns in the form of inquiries, position papers, resolutions, and proposals in the California Teachers Association. We strive to identify and prepare potential students with the skills and knowledge to become leaders among Asian and Pacific Islander educators. The body of electees will represent a variety of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders to the caucus which directly affect the purpose and goals of the programs.
Angela Der Ramos, Chairperson
The CTA Women’s Caucus is established for the purposes of advocating for gender equity within CTA and in our classrooms, schools and work sites; defending human rights and multicultural sex equity in society; and lobbying for legislative issues affecting our goals.
Maya Walker, Chairperson
California Council of Urban Education Associations (CCUEA)
CCUEA is an organization of associations within the California Teachers Association who are dedicated to seeing that the needs of members in the local urban associations are heard at the state and national level.
Connie Pruett, Chairperson
Caucus for Educators of Exceptional Children (CEEC)
The purpose of the CTA-CEEC shall be to promote the causes of educators of exceptional children within CTA and throughout the state and to communicate with CTA and increase the understanding of CTA regarding the unique needs and problems faced by educators of exceptional children.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for concerns and problems faced by educators in meeting the needs of exceptional children.
- Organize committees within the Caucus to study methods that educators may use to help solve some of their problems and concerns.
- Introduce appropriate New Business Items to CTA State Council Special Education Committee and/or other appropriate CTA committees for support of CTA-CEEC positions and/or requests for action.
Meghann Hughes, Chairperson
County Office of Education Caucus
The purpose of the County Office of Education Caucus is to educate CTA members and leadership about COE’s and how they are different and unique compared to regular districts and to network with other COE members.
Melanie Crall, Chairperson
CTA Democratic Caucus
The purpose of the CTA Democratic Caucus is to discuss current political issues, campaigns, and how to get involved in the Democratic party, locally, statewide, and nationally.
Heather Mumy, Chairperson
CTA Higher Education Caucus
A representative space for all members within CCA, Student CTA, and CTA to meet regularly to report and collaborate potential resolutions on issues that affect our higher education communities.
Patrick Mitchell, Chairperson
NCB Charter Schools Caucus
The purpose of the NCB Charter Schools Caucus will be to:
- Provide CTA-chaptered, non-classroom-based charter schools and individual members a means by which their concerns and issues concerning programs run by charter schools can be expressed to CTA’s State Council and Board of Directors. Communication between NCB charter chapters through the NCB Caucus will further the purpose of the organization, as we seek to represent all of the various types of non-classroom-based charter schools.
- Help to ensure that CTA policies and supported legislation protect and promote the well-being of CTA teachers working in CTA-chaptered NCB charter schools, as well as protecting and promoting the well-being of the students we serve.
- Educate/share with State Council and Committees the real-life impacts of legislation on CTA teachers and chapters in NCB schools.
- Assist with CTA efforts of non-union NCB charter schools and other charter schools organizing.
Marla Friedler, Chairperson
Raíces is a caucus of union public educators, university professors, aspiring educators, ESP, retired educators, and community allies committed to using education as a tool for the liberation of our community. We do this by organizing and mobilizing teachers, developing curriculum, and working with community organizations to ignite change. We believe that education is the first step in creating consciousness that leads to action. In these turbulent times, we know that it is not enough to just teach about social justice; we have to practice social justice in every facet of our lives.
Mayra Alvarado, Chairperson
CTA Republican Caucus
The purpose of the Republican Caucus is to promote CTA Republican Teachers involvement in the Republican Party.
Ron Edwards, Chairperson
Zumba® Fitness Caucus
The purpose of the Zumba® Fitness Caucus:
- To increase and promote health and wellness awareness.
- To develop a network for wellness promotion in our communities.
- To offer CTA State Council members a way to participate in a de-stress workout that combines all elements of fitness including cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy, and a serious dose of positive energy.
Maritza Avila, Chairperson