You can’t have a safe California unless you have safe schools.
CTA believes that schools should only reopen when it’s safe for students, educators, and their families. Safe schools should not be a relative or subjective term up to regional or political interpretation. Safety should be the standard. The universal standard. The state standard that is uniformly known and enforced.
New: Recent Survey of California Voters and Parents on Reopening Schools
How do we reopen California’s public schools safely?
→Questions to ask to safely reopen schools for in-person instruction:
- What are the COVID-19 case rates, positivity rates and transmission rates for your community? Are COVID-19 rates low and on the decline in the most vulnerable, underserved communities in your district?
- Does the school district have a school safety plan for reopening that has been agreed upon by administrators and employees and shared with parents and the community? Is it publicly available?
- Does the school district have a distribution plan for PPE and COVID-19 testing for students and educators? Has your local school updated its ventilation system? Are students in stable and small class sizes? How will six-feet physical distancing be maintained for students?
- Does the school district have a plan to support students who have been struggling during the pandemic and need additional learning supports?
- Does the school district have a budget plan to support a safe reopening?
- Has the county and school district shared data publicly about COVID-19 transmission rates, outbreaks, and students and staff in quarantine in any school that has reopened? Is that information posted on a website or school district dashboard?
- Does the state’s plan for collecting and publishing COVID-19 data in California schools include meaningful enforcement of safety protocols, standards and requirements, as well as penalties for bad actors?
No school in a county where COVID-19 cases and transmission rates are in the Purple tier should be open for in-person instruction.
- In order to reopen schools safely, schools need additional funding, not less. #OnlyWhenItsSafe #WeAreCTA cta.org/covid19
- Educators and Parents agree: the health and safety of our students needs to be the top consideration when deciding whether or not to reopen schools. #OnlyWhenItsSafe #WeAreCTA #COVID19 cta.org/covid19
- We are committed to fighting for the health and safety of every student in California. #OnlyWhenItsSafe #WeAreCTA cta.org/covid19
Be sure to join our Facebook group CTA Teaching, Learning and Life During COVID-19, a space to support each other and our students, and to share resources, ideas, feelings, stories, laughs and memes.
We are trying to answer questions that come through social media, email and other means. But please note that your best resource for assistance with local issues regarding district directives, leave questions, etc. is your local CTA chapter and CTA primary contact staff.