What is Red For Ed?
When we think about the promise of education today, we see the future leaders of our nation and the qualified educators who reach, teach and inspire them. We see classrooms with modern tools that help students prepare to make an impact on the world. We see students getting the support they need to thrive and educators having the support they need to serve.
Red For Ed is a movement of educators who will put everything on the line to make this dream a reality for every student, regardless of zip code.
We see progress and hope.
But we also see budgets being cut, overcrowded classrooms and outdated materials. We see educators working around the clock to make a difference in the lives of their students and standing up to lawmakers to ask for better pay and school funding. We’re raising our voices together for our students, for our schools and for ourselves as educators.
That’s why we wear Red for Ed. Our movement is committed to:
Fighting for Our Students
Budget cuts and underfunding have made it harder for educators to prepare their students. Our students deserve better, and so do we. That’s why we push public officials to make funding decisions that better account for school needs.
Upholding Our Value
Students benefit from educators who know them by name, know their community and have a say in the policies that govern their schools. We must ensure that talented educators can afford to stay in the profession they love.
Advocating for Change
CTA and NEA gives educators a voice to advocate for the better pay, benefits and working conditions that have long been ignored. We deserve, and have earned, pay and benefits that match our expertise, education and professional experience.
Spread the Word about #RedForEd
- Join our Facebook Take Action group
- Use #RedForEd #RedForPublicED and #WeAreCTA on Twitter and Instagram
CTA’s #RedForEd Gear is Here!
California educators are painting the state RED for our students and for public education and we’re not slowing down. Need more red in your closet to wear to actions? We have union-made hoodies, hats, tees (including men’s & women’s sizes and v-necks), and more.
Resources for Educators and Community Allies
- #RedForEd Flyer for parents available here. Also in Spanish here.
- Tips for planning a walk-in
- View pics from the January 11, 2019 Statewide Walk-In
Looking Back at Historic #RedForEd Victories
Hear Us Roar is an interactive experience of California’s #RedForEd efforts, featuring both historic strikes by members of UTLA and OEA as well as actions by members at other CTA locals in the 2018-2019 school year.
Hear Us Roar
Through a timeline, video recaps, social media highlights and photos, experience a big-picture view of the #RedForEd movement, key moments and our path forward.
#RedForEd Historic May 22, 2019 Day of Action Wins Massive Victory for Public Education and Students
“And then, suddenly, the stalemate ended when four Assembly members chose a side and stood up for schools with their votes, pushing the total to 42 (the final vote tallied 44 Ayes) and passing AB 1505 out of the Assembly. Thousands cheered in unison and then turned to hug the closest person in a red shirt before letting out a sigh (and cry) of relief. The energy of the #RedForEd Day of Action and this major victory forever cementing this day in the history books of CTA and California public education.”
- View highlights from CTA’s May 22 Day of Action on California Educator
- Read: California Students’ Historic Win After 27 Years: AB 1505 and AB 1507 Become Law
- Read: California Students Win: Charter Bills Become Law
#RedForEd in the 2019-2020 School Year
- Forestville Teachers Association Strike
- 200 Urge Del Norte School Board to Work with Teachers
- Escondido Educators Rising
- New Haven Ratification Ends 14-Day Strike
- Sacramento City Teachers Association strike for their students over unfair labor practices
- Historic Oakland Strike Ends: OEA Ratifies Contract
Richmond Teachers Call for Moratorium on Charter Schools Citing Need for Stronger Oversight, Transparency and Accountability
- Take Action! Encourage your local school board members to join other districts in calling for a moratorium on unregulated charter school growth. Sample resolutions: Short Version, Long Version
UTLA’s Historic & Victorious Strikes of 2019: When We Fight, We Win!