Creating Safe Classrooms and Schools for LGBTQ+ People
The LGBTQ+ Safety in Schools Grant and Scholarship Program in Honor of Guy DeRosa was created to promote human and civil rights by making our public schools safe for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning+ persons. The program was renamed in 2009 in the memory of CTA member and educator Guy DeRosa. Guy was a lifelong advocate for civil and human rights and LGBTQ+ issues.
- The grant program will support projects and presentations that promote understanding of and respect for LGBTQ+ persons.
- The scholarship program will support self-identified LGBTQ members enrolled in a teacher/counseling credential or graduate program who are pursuing a career in public education and who understand the importance of LGBTQ educators as role models in our public schools.
Deadline: January every year (2020 Deadline has passed)
Award Amount: up to $2,500
The Grant Program & Eligibility
The grant program will support LGBTQ+ groups, projects and presentations that promote understanding and respect for LGBTQ+ persons. Grant is to be used directly with students. Special consideration will be given to projects that recognize, promote and celebrate ethnic diversity and other diversity among LGBTQ+ youth.
- Students in public schools, community colleges or four-year universities who implement LGBTQ+ projects and/or presentations.
- CTA members who implement a LGBTQ+ project/presentation at a public school for students and/or employees.
- Public school districts that implement a project/presentation which promotes a safe public school environment conducive to learning and teaching for LGBTQ+ persons.
- Project activities and/or presentations that promote a safe public school environment for all LGBTQ+ persons.
- Funds to start up or re-establish a GSA or LGBTQ+ group.
- Projects that focus on the intersectionality of racial equity are encouraged
Grants of up to $2,500 will be made available annually to awardees.
Applicants must be:
- An active CTA/SCTA member, or
- A public school student(s) sponsored by an active CTA/SCTA member, or
- A CTA local chapter sponsored by an active CTA/SCTA member, or
- A public school district(s) sponsored by an active CTA/SCTA member
Autonomous groups, Service Center Councils, UniServs and CTA Caucuses are not eligible.
Scholarship Program & Criteria
The scholarship program will support self-identified LGBTQ members enrolled in a teacher/counseling credential or graduate program who are pursuing a career in public education and who understand the importance of LGBTQ educators as role models in our public schools.
- Proof that you are currently enrolled or that you will be enrolled in a teacher/counseling credential or graduate program.
- Essays are expected to address any experiences and/or your personal philosophy, that benefit the LGBTQ public school community. Please incorporate as many of the following criteria as possible:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of LGBTQ role models.
- Making the environment safe for LGBTQ students.
- Your past/intended involvements in the LGBTQ education community.
- Importance of role models for LGBTQ ethnic minorities.
The deadline for 2020 has passed.
Contribute to the Future: Donations
Send Donations To:
California Teachers Association
LGBTQ+ Safety in Schools Grant and Scholarship Program in Honor of Guy DeRosa
Burlingame, CA 94011-0921
Make Checks Payable To:
(In check memo line indicate LGBTQ+ Grant and Scholarship Program)