As the extent of the damage caused by wildfires across California becomes fully evident, educators throughout the state are asking how they can help survivors and communities recover from these terrible disasters.
For Those Who Want to Help, Here’s How:
- The Chico Unified Teachers Association set up a Camp Fire GoFundMe account for educators and students in the Paradise/Chico area.
- Butte College Education Association set up two GoFundMe accounts – one for faculty and one for students.
- The CTA Chico RRC is also accepting donations of cash and practical gift cards for groceries or essentials. If you can provide housing, for those needing a place to stay, please call the RRC at (530) 345-9743.
- GoFundMe account for Santa Monica-Malibu educators.
- If you want to donate to the CTA Disaster Relief Fund, you can sign up for automatic payroll deduction or you can send a check made out to:
CTA Disaster Relief Fund 1705 Murchison Drive Burlingame, CA 94010
- American Red Cross – select “California Wildfires” in the dropdown menu.
What do educators in the affected areas need?
Teachers are still in shock, so they don’t know what they need. “It’s like buying Christmas presents when you don’t know what to buy,” says Teachers Association of Paradise President David Smith. “Honestly, cash is the best thing right now or gift cards for groceries or essentials.” He noted teachers who lost their home have no place to store physical donations.
For Those Who Need Help:
Have you been affected by the
#CampFire, #WoolseyFire or another California wildfire? CTA’s Disaster Relief Fund provides financial assistance grants for CTA members who have suffered significant losses from fires and other disasters.
How to Apply
You can simply download and fill out the Disaster Relief Grant Form. If you prefer to get local or in-person help:
- For members in Butte County, go to CTA’s Regional Resource Center in Chico, located at 1430 East Avenue, #1, Chico, 95926 or make a quick call to (530) 345-9743. Local leaders and staff will be there to help you fill out the Disaster Relief Grant forms and find temporary housing if needed.
- For members in the Santa Monica-Malibu area, the Santa Monica-Malibu Classroom Teachers Association has set up a GoFundMe account for members who have suffered severe losses from the Woolsey Fire to cover immediate, short-term financial assistance. The chapter has a list of teachers affected by this fire, but if you have not been contacted by the district, please reach out to them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For members in the Oxnard and Simi/Las Virgenes areas impacted by the fires, please contact the CTA Oxnard Regional Resource Center at (805) 485-1706.