We asked CTA members on Instagram: What advice do you have for new teachers starting the school year? Here are some of their responses!
1. “Ask other teachers for help! We are here to support you.”
2. “Get involved in your school community. Go to games, concerts, etc. It’ll help build relationships.”
3. “The first weekend after school starts…pamper or treat yourself!”
4. “Take all your sick days.”
5. “Go to voluntary meetings and professional development. It shows you’re interested in growing.”
6. “Building relationships is everything. Your pacing guide is not.”
7. “Don’t try to finish it ALL in one day. Tomorrow, there will be more tasks to accomplish.”
8. “Build genuine relationships with all your students. Establish intentional routines.”
(Check out the story about a teacher who created personalized handshakes with each of his students.)
9. “When you have a chance to pee…take it!”
10. “Find a seasoned teacher who you admire and learn from them!”
11. “Don’t stress yourself out or wear yourself too thin! It’s a marathon and not a race!”
12. “Don’t be afraid of mistakes. You’ll make many.”
13. “Laugh, learn, and love every day with your students!”
Have a piece of advice to add? Let us know in the comments, or e-mail email@example.com.