The Racial Equity Affairs Committee (REAC) monitors BIPOC representation within CTA and provides BIPOC input on CTA membership programs and policies.
REAC makes recommendations to the CTA Board of Directors and works at having an Association that is balanced, all-inclusive and equity-minded – with the overall goal of addressing the needs of California’s diverse student population.
REAC is composed of representatives from the following caucuses: American Indian/Alaska Native, African American, Hispanic, Pacific Asian American.
- Promote Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) participation in all areas of CTA leadership;
- Monitor BIPOC representation within the Association as set forth in the governing documents and as identified by the Racial Equity Steering Committee;
- Provide BIPOC input on CTA membership programs and policies;
- Make specific recommendations to the Board for continuing BIPOC input into the Association;
- Work toward an inclusive Association that involves and empowers its equity-minded members;
- Advise the Board in addressing the needs of California’s ethnically diverse student and educator population; and
- Take an active role in in promoting anti-bias and anti-racist activities in our communities.
- Holding annual Service Center Council Equity Team Trainings and hosting SCC Equity Team Breakfasts at the Equity and Human Rights Conference
- Meeting prior to State Council meetings and hosting REAC Receptions at Council
- Conducting Annual Forums Presenting “Involvement for All” workshops at CTA’s Equity and Human Rights, Issues, Leadership and Presidents Conferences
- Meeting with the CTA Executive Officers twice a year (Executive Officer’s Circle)
- Presenting Biennial Reports to the CTA Board Directors
- Monitoring CTA’s 3-1(g) plan to increase BIPOC participation
African American Caucus
Camille Butts, Caucus Chair
American Indian/Alaska Native Caucus
Naqiba Gregory, Caucus Chair
Alberto Nodal, Caucus Chair
Ed DeLa Vega
Pacific Asian American Caucus
Alma Galapon, Cacus Chair
One of REAC’s goals is to work toward an inclusive CTA that involves and empowers its equity-minded members and overall racial equity. Check out our additional resources, including Core Training Resources and SCC Equity Team Resources.