The Racial Equity Affairs Committee (REAC) monitors representation of ethnic minority within CTA and provides ethnic minority input on CTA membership programs and policies.
REAC makes recommendations to the CTA Board of Directors and works at having an Association that is balanced, all-inclusive and equity-minded – with the overall goal of addressing the needs of California’s diverse student population.
REAC is composed of representatives from the following caucuses: American Indian/Alaska Native, African American, Hispanic, Pacific Asian American.
- Promote ethnic minority participation in all areas of CTA leadership;
- Monitor ethnic minority representation within the Association as set forth in the governing documents;
- Provide ethnic minority input on CTA membership programs and policies;
- Make specific recommendations to the Board for continuing ethnic minority input into the Association;
- Work toward an inclusive Association that involves and empowers its equity-minded members; and
- Advise the Board in addressing the needs of California’s ethnically diverse student population.
- Holding annual Service Center Council Equity Team Trainings and hosting SCC Equity Team Breakfasts at the Equity and Human Rights Conference
- Meeting prior to State Council meetings and hosting REAC Receptions at Council
- Conducting Annual Forums Presenting “Involvement for All” workshops at CTA’s Equity and Human Rights, Issues, Leadership and Presidents Conferences
- Meeting with the CTA Executive Officers twice a year (Executive Officer’s Circle)
- Presenting Biennial Reports to the CTA Board Directors
- Monitoring CTA’s 3-1(g) plan to increase the participation of people of color
African American Caucus
Temisha Brame Carter
Alberto Nodal, Caucus Chair
One of REAC’s goals is to work toward an inclusive CTA that involves and empowers its equity-minded members and overall racial equity. Check out our additional resources, including Core Training Resources and SCC Equity Team Resources.