Why do we need Prop. 58?
Under our current system, too many California students are being left behind and not given the opportunity to learn English with the most effective teaching methods possible. The outdated Prop. 227 restricts the instructional methods school districts can use to teach English and also limits the ability of English-speaking students to participate in language immersion programs. Prop. 58 amends the law to ensure all students can learn English as quickly as possible.
- Expands opportunities for English speakers to LEARN a second language
- Helps students LEARN English as quickly as possible
- Helps students LEARN to compete in a global economy
- Restores local control to our schools and gives parents a bigger voice
- Has broad-based support from local school districts, educators, parents and employers