Compiled by Mike Myslinski
San Bruno EA members Claudia Grisell, Susanna Kerstholt-Molloy and Amanda Hession
See details of these stories at cta.org/bargainingupdates.
San Bruno educators win back school days
San Bruno Park School District educators won back five school days after a March 12 board meeting protest.
The district has $5 million in reserves. Restoring the five days costs only $250,000 and relieves a needless financial burden for educators, who agreed last year to take five unpaid furlough days, says Julia Maynard, San Bruno Education Association president.
Three school days will be added to the end of the current school year, along with two professional development days. Next year there will be 180 school days and three additional paid professional development days.
Mt. Diablo teachers reach historic agreement
After 15 years of having health care benefit dollars on the salary schedule, Mt. Diablo Education Association members won a three-year contract that phases in off-schedule benefits compensation, while boosting salaries by 9 percent.
“Some teachers became very emotional when told they would no longer have to pay thousands of dollars per year,” says MDEA President Guy Moore. Teachers were paying up to $1,900 per month for family health care coverage.
Support from coalitions with labor groups and community members helped forge the settlement, says Moore. Financial support from CTA included two chapter crisis grants.
Long struggle pays off for Yuba City teachers
After almost three years of contentious bargaining, Yuba City Teachers Association members reached a contract agreement that provides a 5 percent increase retroactive to July 2013 plus another 2 percent, for a total increase of 7 percent in 2013-14. Teachers will receive an additional 3 percent raise next year.
“Attracting and retaining the best teachers for our children is a community issue, and that’s been our focus,” says YCTA President Dina Luetgens.
The agreement allows the teachers and the district to collaborate on implementing the Local Control Funding Formula and begin negotiating the Local Control Accountability Plan.
Sweetwater teachers authorize strike
Sweetwater Education Association members, frustrated over the district’s “bad faith” bargaining, overwhelmingly voted to authorize the SEA Executive Board to call a strike.
“We have had over 66 hours of meetings without any movement or compromise on their position,” says SEA President Roberto Rodriguez. “Instead, in an attempt to coerce SEA into concessions, the board imposed a non-negotiated health care contribution that has, in many cases, doubled the rates teachers must pay for health insurance.”
At a March 25 school board meeting in Chula Vista, Rodriguez said, “Although we hope to avoid a strike, we will take whatever action is necessary to reach a fair agreement for our members.”
Back to Main Page