Educators are fed up with watching our students and schools go without while banks are being bailed out and the middle class and poor are being shut out. The survival of California’s public schools and essential public services depends on stable tax revenues. And a stable tax structure begins with everyone paying their fair share.
The wealth inequities are stark, and the concentration of the wealth among the nation's top 1% of earners is hurting the quality of life for the other 99% of us. In California, the bottom 20% of wage earners pay 11% of their income in taxes, while the top 1% of wage earners only pay 7.8%. US corporate income grew over 400% from 2001-2008, compared to only 28% for personal income.
And while California’s public schools and services suffer unprecedented cuts and layoffs, corporations enjoy tax breaks worth billions. It's time to get our priorities straight!