Evaluation of Applications | Guidelines for Letter of Recommendations | Instructions | Apply Here - Application | Brochure
1. Applicant must be claimed as dependent status* on the current year’s IRS forms. Applicant must be the dependent child of an active,** or retired California Teachers Association member. Applicants are also eligible if they are claimed as dependents and are the child of a deceased CTA member. This scholarship is not available to spouses of CTA members. *Per IRS regulations. **Pursuant to CTA Bylaws
2. Applications must be submitted online or postmarked by February 7, 2014. A complete application consists of pages 1-6 plus official transcripts.
3. High school grade point average should reflect a high unweighted average. College coursework should reflect high academic achievement. Explain any unique circumstance related to medical, physical or emotional difficulties that may have affected your grades.
Evaluation of Applications
1. Scholarship are awarded based on:
|School and Community Activities
|Letter of Recommendation #1
|Letter of Recommendation #2
2. Letters of recommendation must separately address each of the following categories:
- Involvement in and sensitivity to human, social and civic issues that reflect responsibility, reliability and integrity.
- Educational and personal achievements that reflect academic and vocational potential.
3. Applications are read in their entirety by a team of judges. The applications with the highest cumulative scores are chosen as scholarship recipients.
1. CTA receives approximately 400 – 600 applications in this category annually. A maximum of thirty-four
(34) scholarships of up to $5,000 are awarded.
- The Ralph J. Flynn Memorial Fund provides the scholarship for the highest scoring applicant.
2. Scholarship applicants are notified by mail in May. In order to receive funds, scholarship recipients will be required to submit proof of registration for the summer or fall 2014 semester/quarter as:
- A full-time student in an accredited institution of higher learning; or
- Registered in an approved credential or degree program in an accredited institution of higher learning.
3. Scholarship funds must be used for education-related expenses only.